James Lorimer & Company has an immediate opening for a full-time production editor. We are a Toronto based independent publisher of children’s books aimed at reluctant readers and adult nonfiction in the subject areas of history, politics, local interest, and current issues. Our production editor works closely with our acquisition editors and our design team, and an art director who takes responsibility for print buying and printer liaison.
The position involves:
- Creating and maintaining schedules for 25+ books per year
- Overseeing and guiding books through the entire publishing process, from copy editing of accepted manuscripts to printed book
- Hiring and negotiating with freelance editors as well as giving direction and troubleshooting any issues that may arise
- Liaison between authors, editors, freelancers, designers, printers and the publisher
- Reviewing copyedits and proofreads and resolving any editorial conflicts
- Creation of seasonal catalogues as well as shepherding marketing projects through the design and print process
- Overseeing reprints
- Ordering and assessing images and managing complex illustrated projects
- Record keeping and project tracking using online software and databases
- Creating metadata records and responsibility for weekly Onix feed
The key qualifications for this position are:
- Strong project management skills and the ability to multitask
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong copyediting and proofreading skills and experience
- A publishing certificate and a minimum of 2 years experience in a production role
- Understanding of metadata and Onix
- Ability to troubleshoot and to foresee and resolve problems
- Strong time management skills and attention to detail
We are located at Peter and Richmond Street in downtown Toronto. We work a five day week 9-5. We have a comprehensive benefits plan.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for application is 30 October 2019. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.