June 15, 2016 – The Canadian Authors Association is pleased to announce the Canadian Authors Literary Awards shortlists for 2016. Introduced in 1975, these awards continue the association’s long tradition of honouring Canadian writers who achieve excellence without sacrificing popular appeal.
The finalists were selected from over 300 nominations.
- • Elizabeth Hay, Ottawa, Ontario, for His Whole Life (McClelland & Stewart)
- • Helen Humphreys, Kingston, Ontario, for The Evening Chorus (HarperCollins Canada)
- • Nino Ricci, Toronto, Ontario, for Sleep (Doubleday Canada)
- • Stephen R. Bown, Canmore, Alberta, for White Eskimo: Knud Rasmussen’s Fearless Journey into the Heart of the Arctic (Douglas and McIntyre)
- • Debra Komar, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, for The Bastard of Fort Stikine:The Hudson’s Bay Company and the Murder of John McLoughlin, Jr. (Goose Lane Editions)
- • Christopher Moore, Toronto, Ontario, for Three Weeks in Quebec City (AllenLane Canada)
- • Joe Denham, Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia, for Regeneration Machine (Nightwood Editions)
- • Raoul Fernandes, Vancouver, British Columbia, for Transmitter and Receiver (Nightwood Editions)
- • Nadine McInnis, Ottawa, Ontario, for Delirium for Solo Harp (BuschekBooks)
Canadian Authors Emerging Writer Award
- • Kayla Czaga,Vancouver, British Columbia
- • Cassidy McFadzean, Regina, Saskatchewan
- • Eliza Robertson, Norwich, United Kingdom
- • Melissa Bull, Montreal, Quebec, Rue (Anvil Press)
- • Klothild de Baar, Ottawa, Ontario, Letters to Kathy (APH Publishing)
- • Gail Sidonie Sobat & Spyder Yardley-Jones, Edmonton, Alberta, Jamie’s Got a Gun (Great Plains Teen Fiction)
- • Cora Taylor, Edmonton, Alberta, Finding Melissa (Fitzhenry & Whiteside)
- • Caroline Vu, of Montreal, Quebec, for Palawan Story (Deux Voiliers Publishing)
About the Canadian Authors Association
About the Canadian Writers’ Summit
A limited number of conferences day passes will be available at the Canadian Writers’ Summit on Saturday and Sunday. A Saturday day pass is all that is needed to attend the CAA literary awards lunch event.