Whether you are a published author or an emerging writer, we can help you find professional development, encouragement, and connections with other writers.
Canadian Authors Association (CAA) is a National Arts Service organization with charitable status. We are a national organization with a local presence.
We develop writers and encourage works of literary and artistic merit. We provide
- book promotion
- regular meetings with writing-related guest speakers
- writing circles to develop your project
- workshops, webinars, communiques and the CanWrite! conference
- connection with writers from across Canada
- programs to promote fair and equitable treatment of writers
- partnership with other relevant organizations
- public awareness of Canada’s writing and publishing environment
A Proud History
* CAA was founded to lobby for the protection of authors’ rights and was instrumental in the 1924 copyright legislation.
* Stephen Leacock was one of those founding members.
* CAA founded the Governor General’s Literary Awards.
* CAA originated the first standard book contract to protect authors’ rights in negotiations with publishers.
* CAA participates in the national organizations that ensure Canadian writers retain rights to their intellectual property and are paid for the use of their works. These organizations include Access Copyright, the Book and Periodical Council, the Canadian Copyright Institute, and the Public Lending Right Commission.
* CAA helped create The Canadian Writers’ Foundation to provide financial assistance to indigent authors and their families.
Canadian Authors Association is a not-for-profit association with charitable status. [A National Arts Service Organization,Charitable Business Number 10684 3055 RR0001]
Find us on Facebook
Watch our Facebook group page for updates on meetings, workshops, author activities and other news of interest to writers
We welcome any volunteer help you could offer. Fifteen minutes a month can make a huge difference for us. If you would be willing to help organize our programs, read submissions to Byline, or coordinate a writing circle, let us know.
Health & Dental Benefits for Writers
One of the many benefits of membership includes access to the Writers’ Coalition Health & Dental program.