Canadian Authors Association – National Capital Region Branch (CAA-NCR)
Serving Ottawa and the surrounding area
Whether you are a published author or an emerging writer, you’ve come to the right place.
Writers Helping Writers
The Canadian Authors Association (CAA) is a national organization with a local presence dedicated to promoting a flourishing community of writers across Canada and to encouraging works of literary and artistic merit. We do this by:
- providing information and support to writers
- providing opportunities for professional development
- promoting the fair and equitable treatment of writers
- working in partnership with other relevant organizations
- increasing public awareness of Canada’s writing and publishing environment
Our National Capital Region Branch gives you both national resources and networking opportunities and local initiatives and programs.
A Proud History
* CAA was founded to lobby for the protection of authors’ rights and was instrumental in the 1924 copyright legislation.
* Stephen Leacock was one of those founding members.
* CAA founded the Governor General’s Literary Awards.
* CAA originated the first standard book contract to protect authors’ rights in negotiations with publishers.
* CAA participates in the national organizations that ensure Canadian writers retain rights to their intellectual property and are paid for the use of their works. These organizations include Access Copyright, the Book and Periodical Council, the Canadian Copyright Institute, and the Public Lending Right Commission.
* CAA helped create The Canadian Writers’ Foundation to provide financial assistance to indigent authors and their families.
Canadian Authors Association is a not-for-profit association with charitable status. [A National Arts Service Organization,Charitable Business Number 10684 3055 RR0001]
Find us on Facebook
Watch our Facebook group page for updates on meetings, workshops, author activities and other news of interest to writers.
Canadian Authors Association – NCR on Facebook
When you’ve had a look around, why not join us?
We welcome any volunteer time you have to offer during your membership. Fifteen minutes a month can make a HUGE difference for us! Find out more about volunteer opportunities here.
Health & Dental Benefits for Writers
One of the many benefits of membership includes access to the Writers’ Coalition Health & Dental program.