Canadian Authors Association (CAA) provides writers with a wide variety of programs, services and resources to help them develop their skills in both the craft and the business of writing.
CAA also provides access to a Canada-wide network of writers and publishing industry professionals and engages in advocating for issues such as copyright.
CAA Chapters hold regular monthly meetings. Programs include talks by writers, editors, publishers and panel discussions on the techniques and problems of writing. All meetings concentrate on our theme: Writers Helping Writers.
We understand that life is busy, and that obligations sometimes mean our volunteers cannot always be as active as they want to be, so we are always looking for individuals who are excited to volunteer their time to help other writers!
Examples of potential positions within our Chapter:
- Chapter Coordinator – Will prepare agenda and related reports and in time for their consideration, distribute to committee members before each meeting. Will coordinate and follow up work coming out of the meeting. When requested to do so by the National Board, the Chapter Coordinator acts as spokesperson for Canadian Authors in the BC area. When appropriate, the Coordinator will be spokesperson for the Chapter. The Chapter Coordinator automatically becomes part of the occasional meetings of the national Chapter and Support Development Committee – Requested term: 2 years
- Membership Coordinator – Contacts new members to introduce them to our organization. During each business meeting, reports current membership supplied by National staff. Responsible for following up (by note or telephone) on members who have let their memberships lapse – Requested term: 1 year minimum
- Publicity Coordinator – Writing copy for events and fundraising messages. Social media – overseeing branch social media and looking for ways to increase members’ sense of community – Requested term: 2-3 years
- Programming Coordinator – will know a variety of authors who might be considered suitable authors for our monthly presentations. The Programming Coordinator will contact authors, editors and agents, arrange details for their program and report to the Board meeting. Sometimes they introduce authors on our online programs, but this responsibility is rotated. Requested term: 3 years
- Recording Secretary – Will take notes at Chapter meetings and is responsible for preparing and distributing the final minutes to members after each meeting. Is expected to maintain the organization’s written records including past minutes and votes. As official documents, secretary will know what to track or to omit. Requested term: 2 years
- Member-at-Large: (3) – learn about our organization and volunteer for short-term projects – Requested term: 2 years.
If any of the above interest you, please use the form below to apply. After we receive your application, we will contact you and arrange for an interview in person or by phone with our Chapter Coordinator. All information on this form will be kept confidential and will help us find the perfect volunteer project for you.
Please use this form to submit an Application: