Canadian Authors Association (CAA) provides writers with a wide variety of programs, services and resources to help them develop their skills in both the craft and the business of writing.
CAA also provides access to a Canada-wide network of writers and publishing industry professionals and engages in advocating for issues such as copyright.
CAA branches hold regular monthly meetings. Programs include talks by writers, editors, publishers and panel discussions on the techniques and problems of writing. All meetings concentrate on our theme: Writers Helping Writers.
After we receive your application, we will contact you and arrange for an interview in person or by phone with our volunteer coordinator. All information on this form will be kept confidential and will help us find the perfect volunteer project for you.
We are looking for individuals to join our team in the following positions either currently or for the next year starting in January:
- President – Will prepare agenda and related reports and in time for their consideration, distribute to committee members before each meeting. Will coordinate and follow up work coming out of the meeting. Will chair the annual meeting (in December.) Except for the Nominating Committee, is ex-officio of any committee established during the term. When requested to do so by the National Board the President acts as spokesperson for Canadian Authors in the BC area. When appropriate, the President will be spokesperson for the Branch. The Branch President automatically becomes part of the occasional meetings of the national Branch and Support Development Committee. [Full Version]
- Recording Secretary – Will take notes at executive meetings and is responsible for preparing and distributing the final minutes to members after each meeting. Will help prepare reports for the annual meeting. Is expected to maintain the organization’s written records including past minutes and votes. As official documents, secretary will know what to track or to omit. Requested term: 2 years [Full Version]
- Treasurer – Manage the Branch’s finances. [Full Version]
- Membership – Contacts new members to introduce them to our organization. During each business meeting, reports current membership supplied by National staff. With a membership assistant, is responsible for following up (by note or telephone) on members who have let their memberships lapse – Requested term: 1 year minimum
- Publicity – Writing copy for publications and fundraising messages. Social media – overseeing branch social media and looking for ways to increase members’ sense of community – Requested term: 3 years
- Program Committee Chair – will know a variety of authors who might be considered suitable authors for our monthly presentations. The Chair will contact authors and arranges details for their program and report to the Board meeting. Sometimes they introduce authors on our online programs. Requested term: 3 years [Full Version]
- Member At Large: (3) – learn about our organization and volunteer for short-term projects – Requested term: 2 years.
- WIBA Committee Chair – applications will be forwarded to WIBA Exec.
- Program Committee – support for the Program Committee Chair
Please use this form to submit an Application: