Are you a self-published author?
The CAA National membership committee recently made changes which might make it easier for you to qualify for professional designation. Your self-published work would qualify if it meets 4 of the 6 following criteria.
- Must be edited by an editor qualified by professional qualifications or experience (provide the name, contact, and qualifications of editor).
- Must have a minimum level of net income of $500 within the past two years (net income after the deduction of costs for printing, distribution, editing, design, publicity, and promotion; provide income and royalty statements).
- Minimum number of 250 units sold within the past two years (provide statement of units sold).
- Must be registered (ISBN, ASIN, or other).
- Cover must be designed by a designer qualified by professional qualifications or experience (provide the name, contact, and qualifications of the designer).
- Interior of the work must be designed by a designer qualified by professional qualifications or experience (provide the name, contact, and qualifications of the designer).
The self-published work may be combined with work from other categories:
- Book Author – Trade or Commercial Publisher, minimum of 25,000 words, except for children’s books
- Poet – minimum of 500 lines
- Periodical or Journal Writer – minimum of 25,000 words in articles or short stories
- Newspaper Writer or Columnist – minimum of 20,000 words total
- Scriptwriter – radio, television or theatre scripts totaling a minimum of three hours playing time
- Writing instructor – minimum of 50 hours teaching time, and this must be combined with another category
- Artist – minimum of 50 illustrations published
- Photographer – minimum of 50 photographs published
- Cartoonist – minimum of 50 cartoons published
- Translator – minimum requirements are the same as for the writing category from which the translations were made
- Technical Writer – minimum of 25,000 words
- Trade or In-House Periodical Writer/Editor – full-time position
Tuesday, May 9, 2017
30th Annual National Capital Writing Contest (NCWC) Awards Night
Sponsored by the Canadian Authors Association
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: The Auditorium of Ottawa Public Library's Main Branch, 120 Metcalfe Street
In addition to the presentation of the awards, finalists will be invited to read their entries. The winning entries will be published in Byline, and all finalists’ entries will be published in a 2017 Anthology celebrating the NCWC’s 30th Anniversary. We look forward to the friends and families of the finalists, and anyone wishing to support local authors, to attend and enjoy an evening of wonderful writing.